Tuesday 15 December 2009

Westone X900TPR Super Headless Bass

guitarz.blogspot.com:
In the 1980s Westone guitars and basses seemed to be everywhere. Built in the now legendary Matsumoko factory in Japan, these instruments offered high quality at an affordable price. Another factor in their favour was that they had their own original designs and were not merely copies of the same old Fender and Gibson models. I remember when I was looking for a bass guitar on a budget, I ended up buying a new Westone Thunder I-A fretless for £175. There was no way that I was going to buy a "copy", that would not have been cool. Even though I thought the Westone was ugly (and to be honest, I think a lot of their designs were) I could see that it was a well-made instrument.

It's nice to see that these old Westones have kept their value. If I'd kept my old Thunder I-A fretless, I could probably sell it now for over £200. Bearing that in mind, the above-pictured top of the line Westone X900TPR Super Headless Bass seems a mere snip at a Buy It Now price of £299. It is of through-neck construction, as were Westone's higher-end instruments, and features an active EQ. Unlike many Westones, this isn't ugly at all. The curves of the body are quite attractive, to my eyes at least. Note the interesting contouring with a lower-levelled area around the lower horn. This was probably designed to aid the slap and popping style of playing that was popular in the 1980s, but we won't let that detract from the beauty of this bass.

It's nice also to see a headless bass from this period with a full-size body instead of being another minimalist rectangular-shaped Steinberger rip-off.

G L Wilson

NB: There are a lot of blogs STEALING content and bandwidth. If you read this anywhere else but on guitarz.blogspot.com then you are reading a blog that STEALS content. Please support original bloggers!

5 comments:

  1. is the westone superbass for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was back in December 2009 when this blog post was written. Keep watching eBay...

      Delete
  2. I still own and play mine and it is 2019! Easily switch from duffer sounds of the 60's to more aggressive Rickenbacker, which is why I bought it back then, (without effects pedals). Also brilliant for the smaller hand players. Rests beautifully and is truly unique style-wise, The red and black is still so sharp and cool. JohhnytheEssex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I'd entered already, so apologies if doubles. Had mine a long time and still playing in 2019. Originally I wanted to get close to the more aggresive Rickenbacker sound and this active delivered, whilst at the same time giving a very duff, corny even, 60's sound at the flick of a switch (think the Equals, 'Baby come back') No effects pedals needed! Also great for smaller handed players like me. As headless, just sits so nice and the red and black styling, whilst being comparable to Status etc., retains a unique and still cool element! Really a good range of sounds built in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems as though this thread has resurrected itself. ������

    I've recently acquired an X910WA, the walnut version.
    All I can say is what a lovely piece of kit, and a looker too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis